Free Speech and the Politics of “Shut Up”
“ALL IN FAVOR, SAY ‘AYE.’ ALL OPPOSED — SHUT UP.” In this “transformative” era of Obama, those who raise their voices in legitimate opposition to government policies or actions are routinely subjected to ridicule and false accusations. Is free speech in this country now only a privilege of the “enlightened few” — or is it still a right of all citizens?
Free Speech for Some?
These days, Left-leaning politicians, Leftist political activists, and liberal collegians exercise their First Amendment free-speech right without the likelihood of restraint or retribution. Rarely are their motives, their intelligence, their “civility” or their right to free speech challenged by the collusive Left-leaning media.
Yet those who have the audacity to publicly disagree with — or simply question — the “powers that be” typically are the objects of harsh ridicule and false accusations. How dare anyone challenge the “progressive” agenda!
The Real Incivility
Some charge that Tea Partiers have become “uncivil,” incited to “disturbing” and violent behavior by the Republican Party. If Tea Partiers are indeed angry, it is because the very height of incivility has been perpetrated upon the American people by members of Congress and the Obama administration.
Real incivility is …
- Leaders engaging in bribery, backroom deals, lies and deception — and then topping off their “victories” with arrogance, gloating and mocking elitism.
- Leaders claiming to be working for the good of the American people, but sequestering themselves from their constituents, and then branding their constituents with uncivil labels and contemptible motives.
- Leaders shutting down debate — whether in the halls of Congress or in Presidential interviews — either through the power of the office or with accusations of racism or of “hate speech.”
In these times, there is no one more “uncivil” than those who have the power to make law but who have abdicated their duties through unscrupulous acts.
Following close behind the lawmakers in corruption are the complicit media, who likewise have abdicated their journalistic duties in favor of a political agenda.
Indeed, citizens have cause to be angry. Yet we acknowledge our own culpability in allowing our country to be governed by unscrupulous, self-serving leaders for too long. This problem did not suddenly begin with the current Congress or administration.
For decades, while regular Americans were busy working and raising our families, there have been individuals and groups working diligently behind the scenes to change the very core of our nation. Such individuals and groups exist today. Many of them despise the values and principles that formed our great country. Some even despise the “self-evident” truths described in the Declaration of Independence:
… that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
- Be assured that those who oppose our nation’s Founding principles are both relentlessly focused and ruthless. Going forward we ourselves must therefore be “as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves.”
- Moreover, let us not be quick to support any candidate simply because we want “change.” We already know where that blind impulse has taken our country. Don’t simply make decisions based on a “D,” an “R” or any other letter designating political affiliation. Instead, let us seek out, scrutinize and support candidates whose positions and records are in line with our own individual core values.
- Let us continue to peacefully (and perhaps loudly) exercise our right to free speech — whether in Tea Party rallies, marches or local gatherings with like-minded citizens; with letters to the editor or with emails, letters and phone calls to our representatives.
Free Speech — A Cherished Right
Free speech is indeed a cherished right that, unfortunately, not every citizen of the world is permitted to exercise. If we, the citizens of the United States, fail to exercise the free speech granted to free individuals, we will most assuredly lose freedom itself.
Visit the Photo Gallery
The edited collection of 145 images is available for online viewing in the 03/20/10 Washington, DC Tea Party photo gallery. Just CLICK on the “Slideshow” link on the gallery’s menu bar, and then sit back and enjoy a view of the Tea Party movement that’s been denied by the mainstream media.