Winston-Salem Tax Day Tea Party
A BEAUTIFUL SPRING DAY at Wake Forest University in Winston-Salem, N.C. was the backdrop for the 2010 Winston-Salem Tax Day Tea Party. The rally was sponsored by the N.C. Tea Party and the Wake Forest College Republicans.
A Genial Crowd
Friendly folk of all ages gathered on the Wake Forest University campus to express support for limited government, lower taxes, individual responsibility, free markets and fiscal responsibility.
An April 16, 2010 Winston-Salem Journal article reported that attendance for the 2010 Winston-Salem Tax Day Tea Party rally was “about 700.” While I confess that estimating crowd sizes is outside my realm of expertise, I surely thought the crowd size was at least 1,000.
UPDATE ON 4/20/10: According to an April 19, 2010 email from the N.C. Tea Party organization, Wake Forest University Police estimated the 2010 Winston-Salem Tea Party attendees at more than 1,500. Thanks also to Sallie Tucker for information provided in her comments below that more closely puts the crowd size at 1,700.
Tea Party Speakers
The speakers for the 2010 Winston-Salem Tax Day Tea Party included:
- Nathan Jones • Primary organizer for the N.C. Tea Party
- Austin Shrum • Chairman of the Wake Forest College Republicans
- John Hood • President of the John Locke Foundation
- Dr. Greg Brannon • Physician and constitutional conservative Republican candidate for U.S. Senate in North Carolina
- Jared Fuller • Co-Founder & Executive Director of the Year of Youth
- Francis X. De Luca USMCR (Retired) • Executive Director of the John W. Pope Civitas Institute
Visit the Photo Gallery
The full PHOTO GALLERY containing 103 images is available for online viewing in the 4/15/10 Winston-Salem, NC Tea Party photo gallery. Just CLICK on the “Slideshow” link on the gallery’s menu bar, and then sit back and enjoy scenes from the 2010 Winston-Salem Tax Day Tea Party.